Subject: Unknown Bug
Location: Xi’an, Shaanxi, China
Hi.
I was wondering if you could identify this little critter for me.
Photographed at the site of the Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an China in September. Approximately 3cm long, although it appears to have wings, it did not seem inclined to fly despite a prod.
Signature: Graham Williams

Spotted Lanternfly

Spotted Lanternfly

Dear Graham,
We have always used the common name White Cicada for this Fulgorid Planthopper,
Lycorma delicatula, but in researching this posting, we have learned on BugGuide that it was first reported as an invasive species in Pennsylvania in 2014 and that it is commonly called a Spotted Lanternfly.

Location: Xi'an, Shaanxi, China

2 Responses to Spotted Lanternfly or White Cicada from China

1. Sejana says:

Hi! A friend sent me a link to this page when I asked her what this bug we found in South Korea was. I blogged about that here. https://sejanashines.com/2018/10/12/hiking-mount-apsan-adventures-unidentified-creature-1/

I wondered if you could share the history of why it became an invasive species in the US? I was pretty saddened to read that they are to be killed when found according to the PA Dept of Agriculture website listed.

The Spotted Lanternfly was first reported in Pennsylvania in 2014 according to BugGuide. This was likely an accidental introduction, and we suspect either nursery stock or traveling tourists bringing unlawful plants into the U.S.