Subject: Biting ghost
Location: NC
We have been being stung by what looks like hair. Even our dogs have red spots on them. They are also getting a lot of ear problems. I find a lot of what looks like leaf litter on the floors and it always has hair with it. The last picture I had to get it off my dogs eye one morning. I almost looked like some kind of slug with a soft shell. I wonder if something is using the leaf as a hiding place.
Signature: Lost in the woods

"Hair Bug"

“Hair Bug”

Dear Lost in the woods,
Much like your previous submission, we cannot recognize any life form in your images.  This looks like debris picked up from the floor.  We cannot help you but you may benefit from the network of sufferers who share parasite information in our comment section.  For the record, we do not endorse any methods described in comments.

"Hair Bug"

“Hair Bug”

"Hair Bug"

“Hair Bug”

Location: North Carolina

7 Responses to Stinging Hairs from the Woods of North Carolina

1. Lisa says:

Look I have been bit by something and I need to know what it is. it starts as a white round or worm like object. it bores into my skin then turns black. turns into a diamond shape object with black lines. if one of the line come off it grows and turns into a black long oval bug with two feelers on top. I believe that either the bugs are growing out of the feelers or the feeler drops off and turns into another bug. Help.

2. Jessie says:

Did anyone find relief or a cure? I’ve found the same thing in my home and in my skin. I think its some type if fly larva or beetle. Tried everything .

3. Tara says:

I’m dealing with the exact same thing I’m Texas and everyone thinks I’m crazy!!

4. Need2know says:

my family lives in north Florida, right at Georgia line. we r having the same problem. Along with a few more odd things that are new to us. An the same thing is going on at my neighbors house, they moved in just after we did. this is all new to us since our families moved here. we are steady trying to find out what they are and what is causing it. we are starting to think it may have something to do with the water. Does anyone else having these problem have well water by chance?

5. april says:

I have identical pictures – hundreds of them. I’m in San Antonio TX and had to move out of a house we purchased a year prior. I’m getting closer to finding the answer. Where I am right now based on spending every waking hour trying to figure out what’s making my 4 year old scream in the middle of the night itching, and myself with two years of open wounds that won’t heal until recently – I’m closed in on scalaris which is my current focus, but also eriophyes gall mites and oak tree mites, oak tree midge. With all of these be sure to google the metamorphosis of each and specifically the female form. I’ve learned WAY more about insects than I have ever ever wanted to. You have to identify what it is! Or some the the fixes may make it worse.

6. Kerri says:

I live in Canada alberta
    I have hundred of tgzm and mt family think i am crazy all but my oldest he has them athis place not sure if he gace them to usbut no one but ke and gim get bit and i feel crazy some time to be always looking and getting bit by them