Subject: Hopping Minute Bug
Location: Singapore
January 25, 2016 9:08 am
I found a few of these bugs on my work desk where I store hardware stuff. The last time I saw them was when I cut an unused dish washing sponge to aid in some macro photography. They just appeared in a container that held a small insect.
The bug is slightly less than 1mm in size. The thickness of the plastic container rim is exactly 1mm (in the photo).
Signature: DeepWorld

Springtail

Booklouse

Dear DeepWorld,
This is a Hexapod in the Class Collembola, the Springtails, most likely a Globular Springtail in the Order Symphypleona.  Here is a photo from BugGuide that looks similar.  Springtails are benign creatures that may become a nuisance if they are too plentiful.  According to BugGuide, Springtails are found in:  “Soil, leaf litter, under bark, in decaying wood/fungi, on water surface; some on vegetation. In our area, at least 11 genera include truly aquatic members, >20 genera are regularly found on water surface, and others yet, occasionally. Often found indoors, especially in moist or damp situations such as basins, sinks, tubs, showers, potting soil of houseplants, and windowsills where condensation has accumulated.”

Springtail

Booklouse

Correction:  Booklouse, not Springtail
Thanks to a comment, we realized that we have once again misidentified a Booklouse as a Springtail.

Hi Daniels,
Thank you for the quick response. I am glad that it has been identified. You guys are great!
Regards,
Walter Loo

Hi Walter,
Actually this is a Booklouse, not a Springtail.

This is exciting news. Thank you for the follow-up and correction! I will definitely read more on this creature.
Regards,
Walter Loo

Location: Singapore

2 Responses to Booklouse from Singapore

1. This is not a springtail, but a type of barklouse. I have noticed in the past that wingless or nymphal barklice can look a lot like globular springtails, but if you look closely at the photos you can see the reduced wings or wingbuds in this individual.

I would guess that this is probably (but not definitely) Psyllipsocus ramburii (http://bugguide.net/node/view/830096) which is a widespread domestic barklouse species. Another possibility is a nymph of Dorypteryx domestica, which you’ve had an individual of on this site before (https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2008/11/13/booklouse-2/). Both of these belong to the family Psyllipsocidae, which I can confirm from personal observations do jump.

Thanks for the correction. We are about to post another image we believe to be a Springtail. Your input would be appreciate.