Subject: Please Help! What is this bug?
Location: Potsdam, NY
I am a student at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY.
I am working on an aquaponics system which means that I have plants and fish working together in a closed system. The other day I have found a plethora of one type of bug all around the plants. They are different sizes and they are all around the plants.
Everything is indoors.
Please help me identify this bug and what I should do to remove them or help reduce the quantity.
Signature: Kirsten Hummel

Springtail

Springtail

Dear Kirsten,
This is an Elongate Bodied Springtail, a common household inhabitant.  They are considered benign creatures, though they can be a nuisance if they are too plentiful.  We don’t provide extermination advice.  You may compare your image to this image on BugGuide.

Location: Potsdam, New York

One Response to Springtail

1. cthulhu says:

Kirsten – every year the same corner in the same room of my home is invaded by, and I am not exaggerating, hundreds of thousands of these. They are also all around the exterior of that part of the house (implying a breach in the perimeter). The bad news is that I’ve not found anything that can stop them. The good news is that they do not seem to have done any damage at all to anything inside or out. They are kinda cute really, but the vast numbers of them gets pretty annoying.