Subject: bug in Belize
Location: near San Ignacio, Belize
January 25, 2016 4:06 am
I saw this bug while in Belize last november. I was walking through the jungle at night near the town of San Ignacio. It is about 5 centimeters long en was sitting on a plant hanging over water. No idea what it is. Hope you can tell me! Thanks!
Signature: Susan

House Centipede

House Centipede

Dear Susan,
Though you found it in the jungle, this Centipede is a member of the order Scutigeromorpha and that orders members are commonly called House Centipedes.  We haven’t the necessary skills to identify your species, but there is an introduced species,
Scutigera coleoptrata, found in North America that has adapted quite well to living in homes where it helps to keep populations of undesirable insects and arthropods in check.  Of that species, BugGuide notes:  “Mostly encountered indoors in damp areas such as bathrooms, cellars, and crawl spaces. It will venture beyond these areas and is often seen quickly scurrying across floors or climbing a wall.  Outdoors, they live under logs, rocks, and similar moist protected places.”  It is our understanding that in some parts of the world, House Centipedes are found in caves.  Your individual on a branch is quite unusual.

Location: San Ignacio, Belize