Subject: Flower Wasp ID?
Location: Blyth, SA
Can you a specific ID for this wasp. Just turned up 130km north of Adelaide – about 8 of them. Dec 2015. Thanks for your help. Lovely little creature & seems oblivious to us – was burrowng in sand & bark litter.
Signature: Ian Roberts

Blue Flower Wasp

Flower Wasp

Hi Ian,
This is definitely a Flower Wasp or Mammoth Wasp in the family Scoliidae.  It looks very similar to this individual we believe we correctly identified as a Blue Flower Wasp,
Scolia (Discolia) verticalis.  There is a similarly marked individual on Bold Systems, and this FlickR posting from Western Australia looks like your individual, but it is only identified to the genus level.  Bower Bird has a Flower Wasp identified as Laeviscolia frontalis that has the two spots evident on the abdomen of your individual, and an image on Ipernity supports that ID, but another image on Bower Bird does not appear to have the yellow color near the head.  So, we cannot be certain of the species, but we are confident with the family Scoliidae.

Hi Daniel
Thanks for that – nice to have them zipping around.
Regards
Ian Roberts

Location: Blyth, South Australia

4 Responses to Flower Wasp from Australia

1. samantha says:

We are finding these at our place . Hope valley. SA

2. Anne Frodsham says:

One of my students has photographed this exact wasp in the Adelaide metropolitan area.

3. Anne Green says:

Hi Ian! I saw one of these today, at Brinkworth 🙂

4. Paul Ridley says:

Found one in Salisbury East Adelaide yesterday. It was dead but have brought it in to try and identify it. Thanks for the blog. Really helped.