Subject: More moths
Location: USA River, Arusha, Tanzania
And another moth from us here in Arusha. He big too…
Signature: The Wood family

Giant Silkmoth: Epiphora mythimnia

Giant Silkmoth: Epiphora leae

Dear Wood Family,
This is another Giant Silk Moth in the family Saturniidae.  We believe we have correctly identified it as
Epiphora mythimnia thanks to the Bizland site, but since there are quite a few member of the genus listed in Tanzania, we will contact Bill Oehlke to confirm the ID.  Again, we suspect he may want to post the image to his site and we hope you grant permission.  Are the two moth images you submitted recent sightings?

Bill Oehlke provides a correction.
The Bunaea is alcinoe.
The Epiphora is either leae or vicina. If you can get elevation in meters above sea levelthat should help with id.
Bill

I did some research online on Arusha, and the area seems consistently above 1000m, so I am confident it is Epiphora leae which flies at higher eleveation than does vicina. I put the image on the leae page and it seems a very good match. Later today I will be sending Graeme Davis access to the site in way of a gift membership. Quite a coincidence that his moth turned out to be Coloradia pandora davisi.
Thanks for your continued support with image notifications.
It is one of the newer species and I still have to update Tanzania list.
Bill Oehlke

Hello Daniel
Yes both sightings recent. The Cabbage Tree Emperor Moth was yesterday morning, while the Giant Silkmoth was about a month ago or so I think but I’d have to check.
Of course Mr Oehlke can post either or both images to his site, with our pleasure. …
Cheers
Hannah (of the Wood Family)

Location: USA River, Arusha, Tanzania