Subject: Big boy caterpillar
Location: Albany, Western Australia
January 11, 2016 6:05 am
Hi bug man!
Just found this beauty romping around in my Spanish moss and no one can figure out what it is!
What is he?!?!
Signature: Curious caterpillar carer

Gum Snout Moth Caterpillar

Gum Snout Moth Caterpillar

Dear Curious Caterpillar Carer,
Your caterpillar has two fleshy, forward facing horns that should make identification somewhat easy.  We believe we have correctly identified your caterpillar as
Entometa fervens, the Common Gum Snout Moth Caterpillar, thanks to the Butterfly House website where it is described as:  “The caterpillar has a prominent projection on the back near the posterior end, and a pair of fleshy filaments behind the head. It is solitary, and feeds at night on a variety of Gum Trees” , but we would not discount it being another member of the genus.  The Spotted Gum Moth caterpillar, Entometa guttularis, is described on Butterfly House as being:  “The Caterpillars of this species are brown. sometimes mottled, and sometimes plain brown. The caterpillars have a pair of erectable fleshy howns behind the head, and a floppy knob on the tail. The caterpillars have been recorded feeding on the foliage of of various members of Myrtaceae.”  It is described on iNaturalist as being:  “a large fleshy Caterpillar with soft downy hairs. The caterpillar has a prominent projection on the back near the posterior end, and a pair of fleshy filaments behind the head.”

Gum Snout Moth Caterpillar

Gum Snout Moth Caterpillar

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my msg,
He must of been very happy indeed in my air plant because now I’ve got a cocoon
How exiting!
Cheers mate
-Sally

Yeah no worries, hopefully I’ll catch him hatching that’d be great!

Location: Albany, Western Australia