Subject: Western Australia Bug
Location: western australia
January 12, 2016 7:23 am
Just saw one of these little guys in my living room and wife got panicked…
couldn’t find anything similar on-line… initial thought was that it is a centipede or a small scorpion.
would love to know what it is, as we already stumbled across them in the yard, and if it is poisonous or not.
cheers
Signature: creepy insect terrorize

Earwig

Earwig

This is an Earwig and you have no cause for alarm.  You may read about Australian Earwigs on Bunyipco where it states:  “Earwig biology can be complex. Females of some species look after the eggs and young. Males have pinchers that are larger than those of the females that are probably used in male combat. Although earwigs live in tight places, the chances of one entering a persons ear while sleeping at night, are very slight. But it can happen!  Briefly there are 85 described Australian species in seven families. It is estimated that three times that number probably exist on the continent. Australia is a hotspot for earwigs but generic endemism is low with only about 10% of the genera endemic to the continent.”  According to the Queensland Museum:  “Earwigs are easily identified by the stout pair of pincers at the tip of the abdomen. These are used to capture prey, for defense and also to help fold up the semicircular hindwings under the short, hard wing covers. Some species are predatory, others are herbivorous. They live in concealed places during the day.”

Location: Western Australia

3 Responses to Earwig from Australia

1. linda says:

I want to kill the earwig population in my home.

what do you suggest?

diamataceous [spelling] earth in every nook and cranny??

I’ve never seen such a persistent rascal…
    one has been in an airtight plastic bag covered in scented baking soda
    for days and it’s STILL running around like mad

I understand that you state they are beneficial, however my
    adult son has always had bug nightmares about bugs entering
    ears and skin……….. it would be difficult to even tell him I have
    something NAMED earwigs.