Subject: What is this bug ?
Location: Bathroom
I have been seeing these bugs in my bathroom and it is freaking me out since I have a two year old can you tell me what it is ?
Signature: Taryn mcdermott

Ring-Legged Earwig

Ring-Legged Earwig

Dear Taryn,
We believe this earwig is a Ring-Legged Earwig,
Euborellia annulipes.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “A voracious predator, it will also eat all kinds of plant material, though rarely bothers with live plants” and “Not uncommon in homes and gardens, though often displaced by other species, esp. the European Earwig. Whatever damage it does to crops like lettuce and strawberries is usually more than made up for by destroying small slugs, caterpillars, termites, and many other pests.”  Earwigs may pinch with their cerci, the appendages that resemble forceps at the tip of the abdomen, but they are not considered a threat to humans.

One Response to Ring-Legged Earwig

1. Bishop says:

I have been noticing a lot of them in my bathroom and it’s only in there and I was wondering why.