Subject: Caterpillar in Brazil
Location: Holambra – São Paulo – Brazil
I found this caterpillar in Holambra – São Paulo State – Brazil in orchid. It eats the flower, when flowers are starting to grow.
Could you help me to identify this caterpillar?
Thank you so much.
Regards,
Valeria
Signature: VFM

Woolly Bear we believe

Woolly Bear we believe

Dear Valeria,
We have not had any luck identifying your Caterpillar, but we suspect it is a Woolly Bear, the caterpillar of a Tiger Moth in the subfamily Arctiinae.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck identifying this orchid eating caterpillar.  You can also try writing to Cesar Crash who runs Insetologia, our sister site from Brazil.  Should Cesar provide you with a species name, please write back to us so we can update your posting.

Location: Holambra, Sao Paulo, Brazil

2 Responses to Possibly Woolly Bear from Brazil

1. Valeria says:

Thank you so much for your help. I asked Cesar Crash to identify for me too. And he thinks it is Hypercompe spp. Erebidae: Arctiinae. He found two different species that attack orchids: Hypercompe eridanus and Hypercompe icasia.
    Check it out: http://www.insetologia.com.br/2016/01/provavel-lagarta-hypercompe-em-sao-paulo.html
    Thank you so much.
    Best regards.
    Valeria Moscardini