Subject: What’s this bug???
Location: Central America
Can you help me identify this bug? Is it dangerous with kids? Do I need to be worried?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Signature: Enrique

Walkingstick

Walkingstick

Dear Enrique,
This is a Stick Insect or Walkingstick in the order Phasmida, and most Walkingsticks are perfectly harmless, though members of the family Pseudophasmatidae, the Striped Walkingsticks, are able to spray a caustic substance with remarkable accuracy into the eyes of an attacker.  We do not believe your individual is in the family Pseudophasmatidae, but exercising caution is recommended.  Central America is a large area and more location specificity might have helped our research.

Location: Central America

2 Responses to Walkingstick from Central America

1. Maria says:

I find these a lot in my garden in Guatemala. Looks like a cross between a scorpion and a cricket. Haven’t been able to find an accurate identification yet.

2. Will says:

I just found one outside my front door in Guatemala and found the curled tail strange. But I found this post and it’s exactly like the picture above.