Subject: HawkMoth
Location: San Sebastian, Mexico
Found this moth I assume to be a Hawkmoth on 3/12/15 in San Sebastian in Mexico, West Coast. Have looked verywhere to see what it might be but have not ofund out what it is. Do you have any ideas? It opened its wings wide when startled to reveal the read underneath
Signature: Graeme

Royal Moth

Pine Moth

Dear Graeme,
This is not a Hawkmoth.  We believe it is a Royal Moth in the subfamily Ceratocampinae because it so closely resembles the Hubbard’s Silkmoth,
Sphingicampa hubbardi, which is pictured on BugGuide.  We did not have any luck finding an identification, so we are going to copy Bill Oehlke to see if he is able to provide an identification.  When he assists us with unusual identifications, Bill often requests permission to post images on his own site.  We hope you will allow that.

Royal Moth

Pine Moth

HI Daniel,
It is one of the Coloradia, probably Coloradia jaliscensis.
Please see if I have permission to post these images. Very nice!
Bill Oehlke

Thank you very much for you response. Its great to finally know what it is that I saw. No wonder I could not find it looing at Hawk-moths.
Please tell Bill that he can use my images. Could I have a link to Bill’s site?
Many thanks

Update from Bill Oehlke
Thanks for getting back to me.
When I placed the images provided by Graeme on my jaliscensis page, I could see that it is not a good match. It is much closer to the
Coloradia pandora subspecies group, based on hindwing markings, shape of am line and distance of pm line from the outer margin.
Three Pandora subspecies are currently recognized: nominate Coloradia pandora pandora, C. pandora lindseyi and C. Pandora davisi with davisi having the furthest southern  range into Mexico, but so far known only as far south as Durango. I will post the two images to my Coloradia pandora davisi page. I feel the moth is either subspecies davisi or an undescribed subspecies of Coloradia pandora.  So far the only Coloradia species recognized from Jalisco is jaliscensis, but it clearly is not that species. It could be something new or just representative of a range extensive further south in western Mexico.

If you have Graeme’s last name, please forward that to me so I can properly credit the images.

Once I have the two images on the davisi page I will copy and paste that page to you in an email which you can forward to Graeme. If that does not work I will make a copy of the page available to Graeme on line and will send you the link.

Thanks Bill.

PS. Please also forward this response to Graeme. If he is interested in moths, I would like to have more correspondence with him. If he just had a chance encounter with this moth, then he will probably just be happy to know what it is or at least have a best guess at what it is.

Graeme responds to Bill
Bill,
Thank you very much for the identification of this moth and the information you have pulled for it. Very glad I found it now. I will read up in detail in this particular species.
My Surname as it happens is very apt for the find as it is Davis. What are the chances?
And yes I do have an interest in Moths. I survey Moths in the UK for Butterfly Conservation. However I am pretty much always on survey mode, and have photographed a few moths in Costa Rica and Mexico. Many that I have tentatively identified, and others I do not even know where to start with. My other half is from the States and as such I get to travel there a bit too, but always try to get a trip further South.
Do you have a link for your website? I’d love to see what other finds you have.
Yours
Graeme

Location: San Sebastian, Mexico