Subject: What is this??
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I dug up this bug in the dirt and I have no clue what it is and I have never seen it before. What is this?
Signature: Daniel

Imperial Moth Pupa

Imperial Moth Pupa

This is a moth pupa, and we believe it is an Imperial Moth Pupa.  Many species of moths pass the winter as pupae, and many of those pupate underground.  The Imperial Moth Caterpillar dug beneath the surface of the soil to metamorphose, and in the spring the adult Imperial Moth will emerge.  Now that you have dug this individual up, you have to decide what to do to have it survive.  You can place it in a container with some loose dirt and keep it in a sheltered location that is unheated, like a screened porch or garage.  Hopefully your individual will survive the winter.  As we are preparing for a holiday trip, we are postdating submissions to go live while we are away, and we are tagging your submission as the Bug of the Month for January 2016 because we feel this is an appropriate species to represent the cold months of winter.

Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

One Response to Bug of the Month January 2016: Imperial Moth Pupa

1. Such an interesting bug! I have never seen it before either. After reading your post I immediately searched for more information in the internet. I think you should take care of it during the winter!