Subject: Kissing bug?
Location: San Diego, CA
Found this wee beastie in my back yard in Southern California some time ago. With all the media attention on kissing bugs it made me wonder if that was what I caught….and if that means there could be more lurking outside. Should I be worried?!
Signature: BH

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear BH,
In the past several weeks, we have received around 50 requests to identify suspected Kissing Bugs and not one of the submitted images was of a Kissing Bug.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug, like the one in your image, is the most frequent suspect, followed by the Wheel Bug.  Kissing Bugs are known to spread Chagas Disease, but none of their impostors pose any threat to humans.  We are postdating your submission to go live to our site during our holiday absence.

Thank you!  Didn’t think it was but figured it was worth asking. Appreciate it.
Cheers
Blair

Location: San Diego, California

One Response to Western Conifer Seed Bug, NOT Kissing Bug

1. Monica says:

I found one under my pillow Full Of Blood!!! I also live in San Diego. It’s not dangerous but sucks blood????