Subject: What is this bug?
Location: Memphis, TN
I found this guy crawling on me. I live in Memphis, TN. It was on me yesterday (December 11, 2015). The weather is unusually warm her right now. It looks like some sort of wasp-like bug, but I have never seen one with this coloring.
Signature: Vera

Ichneumon

Ichneumon

Dear Vera,
This is a parasitic relative of wasps from the family Ichneumonidae, and based on the black and white antennae, we believe it may be in the genus
Cryptanura which can be found on BugGuide.  Ichenumons are considered harmless to humans as most members of the family do not sting.  In our effort to educate the public about insects, we have created an Unnecessary Carnage tag and we hope any future encounters you have with this harmless beneficial insect will not result in a similar outcome.

Thank you Daniel! Hopefully the next time I encounter one, it won’t be in my shirt. 😊

Location: Memphis, Tennessee