Subject: Bug like QVC package..
Location: Willistown Twp, Chester County, PA
December 6, 2015 7:04 am
Hello bug man…
Is this a Western Conifer Seed bug??
Please advise.
Thx!!
Happy holidays!
Signature: Nancy

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Nancy,
This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, and it seems it has settled into the packing material in an effort to find shelter from the oncoming winter weather.  This is exactly the type of behavior that we are speculating led to the range expansion of the Western Conifer Seed Bug beginning in the 1960s, when it spread from the Pacific Northwest to eventually include much of North America.  That was about the same time that air travel became more routine, and we believe the Western Conifer Seed Bug stowed away in luggage, eventually finding itself in a new time zone, and establishing itself in a new location.

Thx Daniel!
I ️hav  question …  A local news service make a stink about “deadly kissing bug”…that accord to my untraineyes look similar
To west. Conifer seed bug…
See their video Lin below— Are they mistaken?
PLESE let me know.
Thx SOMMUCh!!!
http://patch.com/pennsylvania/malvern/s/fgzde/watch-this-is-what-a-deadly-kissing-bug-looks-like
Kind regard,
Nancy. 🙂

Dear Nancy,
Your local news service is wrong.  The bug pictured in the video is a Western Conifer Seed Bug in the Leaf Footed Bug family Coreidae, NOT a Kissing Bug, a similar looking insect from the Assassin Bug Family Reduviidae.  There is currently much coverage on Kissing Bugs, that do spread Chagas Disease, but it is very irresponsible of your local news outlet to fuel paranoia by picturing the wrong insect in their coverage.  Sightings of Western Conifer Seed Bugs are much more common than sightings of Eastern Blood-Sucking Conenose Bugs or Kissing Bugs in your area.  You should write to your local news agency and inform them of their error and ask that they correct their posting.  They probably do not have an entomologist on the staff and the reporter did not do her due diligence by following up the submitted video with a local expert at a natural history museum.

That what I thought!!!! Thx for confirmation!  I WILL let THME know!  🙂

Location: Willistown, Chester County, Pennsylvania