Subject: What is this
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
December 6, 2015 8:07 am
This bug can fly. Have no idea where it came from or what it is but we’ve had 4 of these in our home in the last month. 3 of which were in the last 2 weeks. They were first seen outside in the back yard then they started appearing in the house. We generally don’t keep flowers in the house, the ones in the picture are a birthday gift for my daughter so I’m positive I can rule that out as an attraction for this bug.
We are in London, Ontario, Canada.
The first time we’ve seen one of these guys would have been the back yard back in the summer so temperatures would have been in the 20C and upwards.
Current outdoor temperature is on average approx 2 – 10 C.
Signature: Rob

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Rob,
This Western Conifer Seed Bug is native to the Pacific Northwest, but beginning in the 1960s, it expanded its range, probably helped by increased human air travel, across North America.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs seek shelter indoors to hibernate when the weather cools.  It will not harm you or your home, but large number indoors may be a nuisance.

Location: London, Ontario, Canada