Subject: Some type of Red Jewel Beetle?
Location: Chidlow, Western Australia
We were cleaning out our gutters and found this chap dead amongst the accumulated leaves. Looks a lot like one of the pictures on the WA Museum’s composite photos of red jewel beetles, but ours seems to have a lot more yellow on it, or perhaps it has just faded a bit in the sun? Any thoughts please? As you can see we also found a Western Glossy Stag Beetle!
We are located near the village of Chidlow, on 5 acres amongst partially cleared farming land and bush, in the hills east of Perth, Western Australia.
Signature: Tom and Sue McNaughtan

Jewel Beetle

Jewel Beetle

Dear Tom and Sue,
There is much diversity within the family of Jewel Beetles (Buprestidae) from Australia and there is also variability within the species.  We believe your individual may be in the genus
Castiarina, which is well represented on the Buprestidae of Australia site.  We found a matching image of a Western Glossy Stag Beetle on Red Bubble, but there is no scientific name provided.  We believe that based on the Beetle Space site, that this is a female Lamprima micardi.  There are Asian instructions provided on breeding the species as well as many images taken in captivity on Insect Forum.  There are probably quite a few collectors salivating over your lucky discovery.

Stag Beetle and Jewel Beetle

Western Glossy Stag Beetle and Jewel Beetle

Location: Chidlow, Western Australia

2 Responses to Jewel Beetle and female Stag Beetle found in gutter in Western Australia

1. Allen Sundholm says:

Hi Tom and Sue,

The ‘Western Glossy Stag Beetle’ (which is just someone’s ‘common name’ and is thus not a scientific name) is a female of Lamprima micardi Reiche, 1841, endemic to the SW of WA,. The males are a tad larger and possess larger mandibles.

The other specimen is the jewel beetle (i.e. in the Coleoptera family Buprestidae) Castiarina amabilis (Gory & Laporte, 1838), also endemic to the SW of WA.

As with many Australian species of Buprestidae, Castiarina amabilis appears to be highly seasonal. i.e. emerges as adults, commonly so, only in certain seasons (i.e. in certain years). Though I have spent many years travelling parts of Australia in the search for Buprestidae as part of my lifelong survey effort (conducted under appropriate scientific licences where required), I have yet to personally find this species, and so that I can photograph this species alive. Well, maybe one day someone will find live specimens of it and send it to me!

Neither species is rare in what’s left of the fast-disappearing habitats of the SW of WA largely thanks to housing developments especially in what little is left of the once-extensive and incredibly ecologically diverse and unique Swan Coastal Plains habitats (same goes for most of the habitats in the SW of WA, actually!), and ongoing broadacre clearing.

Cheers,
    Allen Sundholm