Subject: Walk Through Natural Area Turns Up Interesting Critters
Location: Juno Beach, Florida
Hello Whats That Bug!
Love your site – use it all the time to identify the small creepy crawlies we find on Palm Beach County natural areas. Usually I can successfully find the critters name while looking through the photos on your web site. I am having a bit of trouble with a pesky caterpillar which defies identification. It was found at Juno Dunes Natural Area in Juno Beach, Florida. There were several on the same plant. Any help in naming this guy (I’m calling him Harry for now) will be appreciated. … Thanks for all you do to ensure the proper identification of insects and arachnids!
Signature: Ann Mathews

Unknown Moth Caterpillar

Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth Caterpillar

Hi Again Ann,
Our quick attempt to identify this Moth Caterpillar did not produce any results.  For now, we are posting it as unidentified, and perhaps one of our readers will have some luck scouring the internet for a positive identification.

Update Courtesy of Karl:  Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth Caterpillar
Hello Daniel and Ann:
It looks like a Scarlet-bodied Wasp Moth caterpillar (Erebidae: Arctiinae: Arctiini: Cosmosoma myrodora) [see Featured Creatures]. You can also check it out on the ‘Butterflies and Moths of North America’ site. Regards.  Karl

OH YEAH! “Harry” has been identified! Thank you Karl and What’s That Bug for identifying this caterpillar. Now I want to see that moth in person – spectacular coloration! Thanks again for all your hard work making sure bugs and other creepy crawlies are correctly identified.
Ann Mathews
Palm Beach County
Department of Environmental Resources Management

Location: Juno Beach, Florida