Subject: Weirdest thing I have ever seen
Location: El Valle de Anton, Panama (650m ASL)
December 1, 2015 10:44 am
Hey BugMan!
I’ve lived in Panama since 2003, and still see new bugs on almost a daily basis. But today’s? Well, he takes the cake. I’m not even sure it’s of this Earth, ha!
When extended, its legs look a lot like a crab’s (and there are 6 of them). It’s mottled brown, about the size of a pencil eraser, and has a black spot occupying most of the top of its body. The spot looks fuzzy, almost like velvet.
Its head is too small for me to tell what its mouthparts look like, but it looked to me as if it was using small appendages to feed itself (again, like a crab).
I thought it was a massive tick at first, but not any more. When I knocked it off the ceiling it sounded like a rock hitting the floor – and it retracted its legs and head into its… carapace, I guess, for lack of a better word.
It’s the weirdest little thing.
Thanks for your time! 🙂
Cheers,
Chad
PS – now that it’s out of its shell again, it kind of looks like it has a proboscis? But it’s very small and my eyes aren’t great. Neither is my camera – please excuse the crappy photo.
Signature: Chad

Thing

Thing

Dear Chad,
You have supplied so much great information, but alas, your image is so blurry we don’t even know where to begin attempting to classify this Thing.  Perhaps one of our readers will have a suggestion.

Thanks for the reply! And sorry again about the crappy image. I
managed to get it narrowed down to ‘some kind of weevil’ (I think),
but that fuzzy patch on the back seems very strange.

Location: El Valle de Anton, Panama

2 Responses to Thing from Panama

1. Joshua Allen says:

There are some weird harvestmen out there. I wonder if it is in that family.

2. The world’s smallest hermit crab using a walnut hull instead of a seashell?