Subject: Weird Beetle
Location: Frederick, MD
November 27, 2015 8:44 am
I saw this bug when I took my dogs out. Was wondering if it was a threat to them!
Signature: Molly

Oil Beetle

Oil Beetle

Dear Molly,
This is an Oil Beetle in the genus
Meloe, a member of the Blister Beetle family.  Blister Beetles are capable of secreting a compound cantharidin that is known to cause blistering in human skin.  This Oil Beetle is not concerned with attacking or threatening your dogs, but if one of your dogs was to attempt to try to eat one, your dog might encounter some irritation or possibly even a more severe reaction.

Location: Frederick, Maryland

2 Responses to Oil Beetle

1. Briana says:

Molly,
    I just sent in a question about this beetle. Now I don’t have to wait for the answer I pretty much knew – it is not a good idea for my little dog to eat these bugs. I have them in my yard this year and have never seen them before. I live in Olney, MD, so not too far from Frederick.

Is this a new resident in the state? Remember the invasion of the stink bugs several years ago? My little dog at those too.
    Briana