Subject: wine drinking moth
Location: Waterberg mountains, South Africa
November 26, 2015 5:52 am
The two images of this moth which was very interested in my red wine were taken in the Mabalingwe game reserve in the Waterberg mountains two hours north of Johannesburg, South Africa.
I wondered what it is and whether moths often like wine?
Signature: Dave Smith

Sundowner Moth

Sundowner Moth

Dear Dave,
We quickly identified your Noctuoid Moth as a Sundowner Moth,
Sphingomorpha chlorea, by first finding a matching image on the Kenya Natural History Guide where it states:  “The larvae (caterpillars) of this moth are reported to feed on the foliage of various acacias. The adult moths would be well hidden on the rough bark of the trees, but are vulnerable to predation when attracted to lights. Birds, bats, lizards and toads are among the animals that feast on the insects coming to electric lights.”  There are numerous nice images on iSpot.  Many Noctuoids are attracted to fermentation from rotting fruit, and this would include wine.  

Sundowner Moth

Sundowner Moth

Many thanks for the speedy reply to this and the query about the Brown SA beetle. I shall follow up on the links you have given.
Kind Regards
Dave Smith

Location: Mabalingwe, South Africa