Subject: Kissing bug?
Location: Lancaster pa
I found this in my living room. I think it may have been hiding in some wood that we brought in for our fireplace. Now I am freaking out here! 🙂
Signature: Pam

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Dear Pam,
This is a beneficial, predatory Wheel Bug, not a Kissing Bug.  We have received at least six urgent request to identify suspected Kissing Bugs in the past two days which leads us to believe there is some news story currently circulating.  Are you able to provide us any information on why you suspected a Kissing Bug?

Thank  you so much for your prompt reply! I have grandchildren and I am very concerned because they play in our living room frequently!
Yes, there is news articles on line how they are spotted in Pennsylvania! I also saw the pictures of the wheel bug, but I did not see the helmet type of spine sticking up on this one’s head.
I will try and forward the segment that I saw on Facebook to you. It was on Fox news. Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer this!  It is very much appreciated!

The initial picture shown in this article did not look like the bug in my house, but another pic did! I literally had just found the bug the day before and killed it!I have spent a lot of hours looking at pictures as well and it’s very confusing! I guess that’s why I should leave it up to the experts LOL! Thank you again! Happy Thanksgiving!
Pam

Kissing Bug courtesy of FOX

Kissing Bug courtesy of FOX

Hi Again Pam,
The Kissing Bug in the FOX image you forwarded is an immature Kissing Bug, which may explain part of the confusion.  Sometimes immature True Bugs change in shape and color as they mature and grow wings.

Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania

7 Responses to Public Service Message: Wheel Bug is NOT Kissing Bug

1. Andrew says:

There have been numerous news stories lately warning of the kissing bug in the southeast United States. The CDC has reported finding kissing bugs in Mississippi, Georgia and Texas and talks of how it can carry the deadly chagas disease. Has a lot of people freaking out because there are a lot of bugs that look very similar if not exactly like it. Thankfully this isn’t one.

Thanks for letting us know. We didn’t want to appear to be living under a rock when it comes to current events. We noticed the uptick in requests and we knew something must be in the news.

2. Gin says:

There was an article about Kissing Bugs a couple of days ago on CNN online. I’m guessing you’ve been hearing from CNN readers.

3. Curious Girl says:

Unnecessary Carnage?

The Wheel Bug in the submitted image looks alive to us.

• Curious Girl says:

Hey Daniel,

She wrote back in her response, “The initial picture shown in this article did not look like the bug in my house, but another pic did! I literally had just found the bug the day before and killed it!”

So I thought it might be unnecessary.