Subject: What is this colorful bug/insect?
Location: Laurel, MD
November 22, 2015 4:54 am
I was about to open this organics baby spring mix greens, triple washed, sealed in plastic bin, when I noticed this bug (beetle, perhaps?) in the container. I would love to know what this bug is and likely that it is not dangerous or anything, since I know nothing about insects really, but do find them interesting. The bin does say, product of USA.
The bug crawls slowly, like a beetle crawls.
Thank you for any help with this identification.
Signature: Suzanne Arnold

Harlequin Stink Bug

Harlequin Stink Bug

Dear Suzanne,
This is a Harlequin Stink Bug,
Murgantia histrionica, and though it is a variable species with regard to markings, the orange, black and white coloration is quite distinctive.  Here is an image from BugGuide.  Finding it among organic greens makes perfect sense because according to BugGuide:  “hosts: primarily Brassicaceae (horseradish, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, mustard, Brussels sprouts, turnip, kohlrabi, radish); may also attack tomato, potato, eggplant, okra, bean, asparagus, beet, weeds, fruit trees and field crops.”

Dear Daniel – Thank you so much!  I still have him/her, so will release him/her to the outside.  I will go look that Bug Guide up as well.   I am so appreciative of your help; I have been looking, but had not come across this particular bug, and there are so many, many quite beautiful types, species, out there; it is just amazing.  Thanks again.

Location: Laurel, Maryland