Subject: Found on body then in hair
Location: Arizona U.S.A
I took a shower in the morning and I found a wierd bug on my chest so I thought I got rid of it when it disappeared then I went with a normal day, the next day I was checking my hair and found the bug in my hair!! I only found one but I don’t know if there’s one there’s more so I checked my hair thoroughly and didn’t find any more.. Does it bite? Does it multiply? Is it dangerous? It was very small, does it grow?
Signature: Sky

Louse

Louse

Dear Sky,
There is no delicate way to put this.  You have Lice.  If you had two, there are likely more.  They do bite and they do multiply.  They are not known vectors for disease and they do not grow larger.  There are many commercial products available over the counter at the pharmacy.

Location: Arizona

2 Responses to Human Louse

1. Head lice are not known to spread disease. Head lice can be an annoyance because their presence may cause itching and loss of sleep. Sometimes the itching can lead to excessive scratching that can sometimes increase the chance of a secondary skin infection.

2. Curious Girl says:

There are non-toxic ways to deal with lice that also may be more effective as lice are growing more and more resistant to the pesticides in the commercial treatments.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pdxgreen/2010/06/treating_lice_doesnt_have_to_b.html

Perhaps the most effective measure is to comb through the hair (and scalp) repeatedly with the nit comb while bent over the bathtub to see what comes out (hopefully nothing).

Sadly, the first time someone finds a lice they have often been there for about a month because it takes that long for the body to develop an immune response of itching to them. But then… it’s very itchy I’m told.

And it has nothing to do with hygiene as lice actually prefer clean hair and skin.

If you take the vaseline method, which I do not recommend as it’s a petroleum product with its own toxic effects, then you will need mineral oil to work out the vaseline as it does not just shampoo out. Better to just go with the mineral oil to start. But best might be coconut oil as it also feeds the skin which mineral oil does not (despite the name).