Subject: Ground beetle
Location: Bomassa, Republic of Congo
I live in northern Congo and regularly come across interesting insects, some of which are probably little known or unknown to science.
I try to identify many of the arthropods I see here via iNaturalist, but many can use a lot of extra help – always appreciated!
Feel free to contact me at: naftalihonig@gmail.com
Signature: Naftali

Unknown Ground Beetle

Craspedophorus Ground Beetle

Dear Naftali,
We agree that this is a Ground Beetle in the family Carabidae, but at this time we are unable to provide you with a more specific name.  Perhaps one of our readers will provide a comment.

Via iNaturalist a good bet seems Craspedophorus sp.
There are many spp. though…

According to a published paper we found, that genus is from Australia and Asia, but in Google Books Taxonomy, Phylogeny, and Zoogeography of Beetles and Ants online, it indicates:  “The carabid genus Craspedophorus, with over a hunderd species distributed through tropical Africa, Madagascar, Asia, and Australia is notable partly because of its usual dorsal color pattern, which consists of four yellow or orange spots on a blackish elytral background.  The spots are normally at or near the lateral margins of the elytra, two on each elytron, and when they are extensive, the dark background has even been described as forming a cross.”  Colnect indicates one species is pictured on a stamp from Portuguese Guinea.  The first species pictured on Carabidae of the World , Craspedophorus abnormis, is reported from “Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia,” but alas, there is no image.  We believe you have discovered the correct genus.

No way to undercover (or name?) the species? I am just near the trinational border Cameroon-Congo-CAR…on the Congo side.

Location: Bomassa, Republic of Congo