Subject: aussietrev Big Brown Beetle
Location: Nth Burnett region. Queensland
Hi guys.
This big beetle got caught up in some hail netting after a storm and unfortunately the ants got to it before I found it. They had removed pretty well all its legs, antennae and had started on the body but it was still alive and trying to get free. I have no idea what group it might belong in, and I guess the missing bits are going to make it hard to ID but can you help?
P.S> Did you get the link I sent you to the review on Pacific Corrinnidae that I contributed to?
Signature: aussietrev

Prionid

Poinciana Longicorn

Hi Trevor,
This is a Prionid in the subfamily Prioninae of the family of Longicorns, Cerambycidae.  It looks like it might be
Agrianome spinicollis which is pictured on the Atlas of Living Australia where it is described as:  “Very large, elongate beetle with long antennae. Wing covers yellowish-brown. Thorax reddish-brown, edged with a row of pointed teeth. Head with a pair of stout jaws.”  Previous postings on our site indicate the common name Poinciana Longicorn.
We cannot recall posting a link.  Please resend the information so we can link to the review on Pacific Corrinnidae.

Thanks guys. That beetle must be quite the traveler as there are no Poinciana anywhere around here. Wonder if they use any other native as a host?
The link is to a pdf of a rather large work by Robert Raven from the University of Queensland reviewing Western Pacific Corrinidaes to which I contributed specimens and photographs. One of my pictures was used for the cover art so now you know someone that is a famous published nature photographer. 🙂 It won’t be much use to anyone except dedicated spider nuts as it is a very technical work rather than a general use type of thing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6zcivdts7x1r7m/Raven_2015_Corinnidae_Western%20Pacific.pdf?dl=0

Location: Nth Burnett, Queensland, Australia

One Response to Prionid from Australia is Poinciana Longicorn

1. aussietrev says: