Subject: What bit me??!
Location: Illinois
Hi! So me and my boyfriend just moved into a new apartment. The first night we slept there I woke up with horrible red itchy bumps on me. An hour or so after I woke up I couldn’t stop itchy them cause they itched so bad. The next day they became painful swollen and blistered and also still itched. I have about 10 on one foot and a couple on the other foot. Plus a couple here and there on my arm, leg, back, and one on my chest. The most of them are on my feet though. It’s been about 3 days now and they are still very itchy and blistered and it looks like some kind of clear liquid is coming out of them. Please help me figure out what these bites are so I know what I’m dealing with. I’d really appreciate any feedback!
Signature: Thank you!! – Lauren

What's Biting???

What’s Biting???

Dear Lauren,
Our best guess is that you are being bitten by Fleas.  If the previous tenant had pets and there is no longer a mammalian host for the bloodthirsty critters, they will bite humans and the itchy bites can last for weeks.  We do not believe these are Bed Bug bites.

Location: Illinois

2 Responses to Mystery Bites

1. Can’t tell you what taxa but you from bite marks, but fleas will bite all over. Bed bugs will usually form lines of bites. Fleas can too, but bed bugs make straight little lines while fleas, if bites are congregated will be not so straight and a little more random.

Most likely fleas.

2. Since you just moved in, I assume you moved in beds and bedding.

I suggest finding these until you know what’s biting you.

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/bed-bugs/ent-3012/