Subject: New apartment, new pantry protein?
Location: Orem, Utah
We just moved to a new apartment and I decided I wanted to clean all the cabinets myself before putting anything in them. Imagine my surprise to find several of these crawling around the edges of my cabinets before I put anything in! I haven’t seen them eating anything, but I’ve found them on all my cabinets and the extra free standing pantry on the far side of the kitchen, so I think they’re after my food. I’ve only seen them in the evening and it has recently gotten cold, so perhaps they’re more recent invaders. I’ve combed through several pages of your site and others and can’t figure out what it is. I’d like to know so I’m not as paranoid with my 10 month old sticking everything in his mouth. I took the pictures on a sheet of lined paper with this bug in a Ziploc, so sorry if it isn’t really clear. They’re trangular in shape with a colorful band separating the black/brown head and tail. I’ve mostly seen a yellow/tan like this specimen, but I did see an orange band once as well. Thank you so much for running a great website where I hope to find answers!
Signature: Ashley B.

German Cockroach Nymph

German Cockroach Nymph

Dear Ashley,
This is an immature Cockroach and we are relatively certain your nymph is that of a German Cockroach based on images found on BugGuide and FlickR.  Of the 1000s of species of Cockroaches in the world, only a few species are considered household pests and the German Cockroach is probably the most pernicious.  According to BugGuide:  “Infests human dwellings and workplaces” and “Omnivorous, eats just about anything edible”.  BugGuide also states:  “Like most cockroaches, the German Cockroach is nocturnal. It is a major pest of residential and commercial structures.  Some people can develop severe allergies to cockroach parts, feces, and oils. “

Oh my goodness. Worst fears come true, but now I know for sure! Thanks for your help, I’ve got a landlord to call and food to put in plastic containers…

Location: Orem, Utah