Subject: Moth / Bug Identification
Location: Kolkata, India
October 27, 2015 11:52 am
I saw this moth / bug in my house and it’s the FIRST time I have seen something like this in my country in all the 40 years I have lived. I’d be very grateful if you could identify it for me please.
Signature: Arjun

Hawkmoth

Hawkmoth

Dear Arjun,
This is a Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae, and we are struck by its resemblance to North American members of the genus
Xylophanes, pictured on BugGuide, including the Tersa Sphinx.  We learned on the India Biodiversity Portal that the genus is represented in India.  Additional research leads us to believe this is Theretra alecto which is pictured on Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic.  A photo of Theretra alecto was selected as the first place winning photo from National Moth Week 2014 according the the National Moth Week blog.  We will be post-dating your submission to go live on our site on November 1 while we are away from the office.

Hawkmoth

Hawkmoth

Hello Daniel,
Thank you so so much for identifying this amazing insect. I am attaching some resized originals of this bug on this email. Please feel free to use them on your website.
Thanks and regards,
ARJUN.

Location: Kolkata, India