Subject: Mystery Bugs. Temporary Name: Fuzzy Fellas
Location: Close to the beach In Solana Beach
October 26, 2015 9:28 am
Hi i found this bug over the summer while volunteering at a camp. These little bugs were all over. They look like a wasp but where the stinger was suppose to be there was fuzz. Because I was a helper to children we named them fuzzy fellas. I held them all the time and they never bit me or stung, just to be safe I didn’t let any of them hold it. These can fly but are pretty calm. I found that the most came out in the late morning, and less than that in the afternoon. I have searched everywhere to find out what theses little bugs are. Help please? Thanks!
Signature: -Kara Beth

Sycamore Borer

Sycamore Borer

Dear Kara Beth,
You are quite brave.  Though they are very effective wasp mimics, Clearwing Moths in the family Sesiidae are quite harmless, though they really do resemble stinging wasps.  Your individuals are Sycamore Borers,
Synanthedon resplendens, a species we originally identified from Encinitas in 2014.  According to University of California Integrated Pest Management System:  “The sycamore borer, Synanthedon resplendens, occurs in the southwestern United States. It is prevalent in sycamore and also infests oak and ceanothus. The male is mostly yellow with a brownish-black head and black bands on its body. Its legs are yellow, except for black along the margins on the portions nearest to the body. The mostly clear wings have orangish to yellow margins. Sycamores tolerate extensive boring by this insect, and generally no control is recommended.”

Sycamore Borers

Sycamore Borers

Location: Solana Beach, California

One Response to Sycamore Borers

1. Mary says:

Hi! I think I may have one of these in my bedroom. We brought in some branches from a downed sycamore and there is a chewing scratching noise coming from inside one of them. The only thing is I live in NJ! Could it be the same bug?