Subject: Cerambycid I.D.
Location: Madera Canyon Road, Arizona
October 24, 2015 1:42 am
I found a number of these beautiful small cerambycids on Baccharis bushes on the side of the road going to Madera Canyon in Southern Arizona. Can you identify them for me? Thanks.
Signature: Bill King

Longhorn Beetles possibly mating

Longhorn Beetles possibly mating

Hi Bill,
Judging by the number of legs and antennae evident in your image, there appears to be another individual hidden, so you may have documented this lovely individual mating.  We found it pictured on FlickR and there it is identified as
Sphaenothecus bivittata.  According to Valerie’s Austin Bug Collection:  “The mate finding strategy of S. bivittata is rather flamboyant. Males position themselves on the highest tips of branches on flowering shrubs or small trees and keep lookout for females. Their long thin antennae wave in the wind. When females arrive, the males are quick to take action and they frequently mate while the females feed.”  According to BugGuide:  “Larval hosts: Mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) and Roses (Rosa spp.)”