Subject: Bug Identification
Location: Cape Coral, FL (Southwest Florida)
October 24, 2015 8:08 am
Here is a caterpillar that I found on my strawberry tree that I’m trying to figure out exactly what he is.
Thanks so much!
Signature: Adam

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Dear Adam,
We are nearly certain that this is a Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar, but they feed on passionflower.  Is there a passionflower vine growing on or near your strawberry tree?  It appears the caterpillar in your image really is feeding on a leaf, but that is not the typical food for the Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar.  Here is an image from BugGuide of a Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar.

My wife sent this incorrectly. This Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar is feeding on the leaves of a passionflower and not on a strawberry tree. You are correct. You guys are amazing.
Thank you!
Adam

Actually, I stand corrected. I have taken pictures of this bug on my passionflowers but this is on a shrub. They feed on the leaves of a certain shrub common to Southwest Florida.
Regards

Location: Cape Coral, Florida