Subject: Weird spider grasshopper looking bug
Location: Indianapolis
October 24, 2015 10:55 am
I’ve grown up in central Indiana and I was a outdoor kid,unlike the kids these days. I had a woods and pond and creeks near by which I was at morning to night pretty much my whole childhood. I’ve turned over many logs and debris laying around and have seen all types of insects. I am 39 years old now and do all sorts of home maintaince and never encountered this type of insect. I opened a door leading to a storm shelter under this house to find the fuse box for main electricity and several of these things were just hanging around on the walls. At first glance I thought it was a huge spider but once I got closer and inspected this odd looking bug I was totally baffled to what this is and where did they come from and are they poisonous. Please help of possible.
Signature: Creeped out from indy

Camel Cricket

Camel Cricket

Dear Creeped out from indy,
Camel Crickets are harmless, though they can be a nuisance as they prefer damp, dark places like basements.  They are also called Cave Crickets.

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana