Subject: Antlions in india
Location: bandipur national park
October 24, 2015 6:23 am
Hi
I snapped this at a resort in soth India today, was told it was probably a hawk moth, figured it to be an antlion, but don’t know what type…then found your site and figured I’ll give it a shot and ask…
Signature: Smitha

Antlion

Antlion

Dear Smitha,
You are correct that this is an Antlion in the family Myrmeleontidae, but we don’t think we will be able to provide you with much more information about the species.  We found a similar image from India on the Alamy stock photo site, but it is not identified, and we found a similar looking French Antlion, also on Alamy, that is identified as 
Palpares libelluloides.  Perhaps your individual is in the same genus.  According to TrekNature:  “This species is widespread in the Mediterranean regions and it is mainly present in Albania, Belgium. Bulgaria, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Romania and Spain.”  According to the India Biodiversity Portal, the genus is found in India.

Antlion

Antlion

Location: Bandipur National Park, India

One Response to Antlion from India

1. That’s a fancy looking Antlion compared to the American models.