Subject: What type of bug is this ?
Location: Glendale CA
I live in Glendale Ca . I will attach a picture of a bug I have never seen . I was wondering if you can tell me what it is .
Signature: Jack A.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear Jack,
The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is one of the more recently introduced, noxious, Invasive Exotic species that has spread across North America at a rapid pace.  According to BugGuide:  “First collected in 1998 in Allentown, PA, but probably arrived several years earlier.”  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug feeds on hundreds of different species of plants, enabling it to survive just about anywhere it is introduced.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug enters homes to hibernate, and it can easily stow away in suitcases and boxes which means it can be transported from place to place when people travel, which is facilitating its spread.  According to the University of California Integrated Pest Management System site:  “The brown marmorated stink bug (
Halyomorpha halys) or BMSB is native to Eastern Asia, mainly China, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. The first report of this species in the United States occurred in Pennsylvania in 2001, although it is likely to have established as early as 1996. It has been found in at least 40 states, either as reproducing populations or single sightings; and the list of states with official sightings has grown each year. The brown marmorated stink bug was first found in Oregon in 2004 and has spread through many parts of that state and into Washington. In California a reproducing population was first found in Pasadena and San Marino (Los Angeles County) in 2006, and it has since been detected in many other parts of California. In 2013, large reproducing populations were discovered in Sacramento and Yuba City. As BMSB expands its range on the West Coast, it will likely continue to be found first in urban areas.”  This is a bad bug at least in is introduced range.

Location: Glendale, California

8 Responses to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. That’s a true bug and King of the forest. If you have this in your garden (as do I), then congratulate yourself. Your garden is healthy and vibrant. ❤️

With all due respect Holly, you are woefully misinformed. Here is what the Penn State University Department of Entomology has to say about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug: “This true bug in the insect family Pentatomidae is known as an agricultural pest in its native range of China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Recently, the BMSB has become a serious pests of fruit, vegetables and farm crops in the Mid-Atlantic region and it is probable that it will become a pest of these commodities in other areas in the United States.
      BMSB becomes a nuisance pest both indoors and out when it is attracted to the outside of houses on warm fall days in search of protected, overwintering sites. BMSB occasionally reappears during warmer sunny periods throughout the winter, and again as it emerges in the spring.”

2. Noxious is definitely an understatement. With insects I usually use the “live and let live” mantra but I make exceptions for mosquitos, houseflies, and more recently these stink bugs (I leave the native ones alone)

3. Awww… Well darn. I have a shady yard and dogs (boy dogs who lift their legs) so I can’t grow veggies… I would feel differently if they are my produce.
    But for now – they eat other bugs.
    😉

• Are you maybe confusing the brown marmorated stink bug with a similar-looking predatory species like the spined soldier bug? Marmorateds only feed on plants to my knowledge…

Another similar looking group that will feed on other insects are the Tree Stink Bugs or Rough Stink Bugs in the genus Brochymena. According to BugGuide: “phytophagous (some reports of predation)” and since they are native, they have natural predators. The Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs have no natural predators which explains their escalating numbers.

• Probably yes ❤️. My darling great niece and I caught one and did a report on it for the local zoo children’s program.
      But really – I’m of that ‘if it’s a big, spider, snake – essentially a creature of the earth – I probably love it.’
      Not to say some don’t make me nuts. And some I avoid and cannot for the life of me understand – 😁

4. Solange says:

It is getting pretty warm outside, and I read that they usually come inside during cold weather and occasionally in warm weather. Is there anyway to get them out quicker, without having to deal with the smell? I am in Ohio.