Subject: What is this bug
Location: Georgia
This bug is a bit less than 1/2 cm. It has been found in my kitchen around the stove and in cabinets. It eats raw spagetti for sure, as well as cereal.
Signature: Lawrence

Cigarette Beetle

Cigarette Beetle or Drugstore Beetle

Dear Lawrence,
There are many beetles that will infest stored foods in the pantry, and we believe you are being troubled by Cigarette Beetles, based on an image on the Pantry Pests page of the University of Maryland Extension site.  According to BugGuide, the Cigarette Beetle,
Lasioderma serricorne, feeds on:  “Dry plant matter of any sort, including spices and tobacco.”  It may also be the superficially similar Drugstore Beetle, Stegobium paniceum, and according to BugGuide:  “larvae feed on a very wide variety of materials of vegetable and animal origin (incl. drugs poisonous to humans, spices, tobacco, leather, wood, textiles…), may attack dried plant collections, old books, and paper; adults do not feed.”    

Location: Georgia

One Response to Cigarette Beetle or Drugstore Beetle

1. Tanya says:

Hi I have been getting bugs in the kitchen in the cardboards in the gravy pot etc how do we get rid of them I have cleaned the cardboards walls windows ect also found them on the net curtains up stairs? Id Ican get a picture I will send it on