Subject: Early Morning Visiter
Location: Eastern North Carolina
October 9, 2015 1:37 am
Hello bugman,
I need your help. I snapped a pic of this little guy and I’ve searched a bunch of sites to identify it to no avail. I live in Eastern North Carolina and he joined me for coffee at 4am while at work. He posed for a photo dipped his wing to say bye and flew off. Summer mornings are full of surprises. If you can help awesome, if not at least you got a good looking butterfly for you gallery.
Signature: JZS

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear JZS,
Goodness, summer lasts much longer in North Carolina.  We are several weeks into autumn in Los Angeles right now.  Lucky you to have seen this lovely Luna Moth.  We believe based on the narrow antennae that this is a female, and hopefully she has mated and can lay fertile eggs, ensuring a new generation.  Luna Moths are Giant Silkmoths in the family Saturniidae, and they do not feed as adults, living only a few days which is long enough to mate and procreate and not much else, though they do provide a nice snack for any birds, bats or other insectivores that catch them.  The battered wings are a good indication that some unsuspecting predator attacked the long tails on the hindwings, enabling the moth to fly off, damaged but still alive.

Location: North Carolina

3 Responses to Luna Moth

1. You know, I Googled “Big Green moth” I got 400 images of Luna moths and a few other types. This is simple, people.