Subject: Pseudosphinx in Sumatra ???
Location: West Sumatra – Indonesia
October 7, 2015 9:05 am
I send you an other picture from my place (West Sumatra – Indonesia). The only one similar bug i found is a Pseudosphinx tetrio. But it can be found only in America and Carribean (according to articles that i found)… and i’m in Indonesia !!!
There are some small differences with pictures of P.tetrio that i found : no anal horn, black backhead (instead of orange), white long hair, extremity of feet orange-brown (instead of completely orange-red).
Also, the one on the picture is eating a plant that produces latex. But Pseudosphinx do not eat this kind of plant.
Thank you for your help 🙂
Greetings from Sumatra !
Signature: Nad Rimba

Unknown Caterpillar

Unknown Caterpillar

Dear Nad,
This is most definitely NOT a Tetrio Sphinx Caterpillar, a species found in Central and South America, but we are uncertain of its identity.  We are posting your image and we will continue to research its identity.  This is also a gorgeous image.

Location: Sumatra, Indonesia

5 Responses to Caterpillar from Sumatra

1. Amazing variations in the insects from place to place.

2. Marcelo Brito de Avellar says:

I found a similar caterpillar in a picture on this site: http://naturalistsnotebook.mnapage.info/page/33/
    It might help!
    Hugs from Brazil.
    Marcelo Brito

3. Marcelo Brito de Avellar says:

It might help!
    Hugs from Brazil.
    Marcelo Brito

4. Nad Rimba says:

Thanks Marcelo for this link. I think it’s an other ssp. : black hair which are longer around the head than in the back. I can’t see clearly the feet but they looks like all black. But the red head is similar and the shape of stripes too. Thanks

5. Tho Tang says:

If you found it on a ficus plant , it could be the caterpillar of Asota plana, a moth from the Noctuidae family. It is white and orange in color and quite attractive.