Subject: Mantid Day
Location: Coryell County, Texas
On Thursday, Sept. 24, I found a mantid on the back porch, around noon. It seemed injured, leaning to the left and not moving. I carried it to a crepe myrtle tree and it began to climb a bit.
Such an interesting insect! I tried to determine what kind it is, and am guessing that it’s a Carolina mantis, but I’m not sure at all.
Later that same day I was washing windows and found an ootheca under the bricks around a window. It looks as though the young may have hatched earlier this summer. I’m not sure if it’s from the same species of mantid.
The weather was sunny and warm, around 90 degrees.
Thank you, and best wishes.
Signature: Ellen

Male Carolina Mantis

Male Carolina Mantis

Dear Ellen,
We believe you are correct that is a Carolina Mantis, and it is a male.  Female Carolina Mantids are flightless, are larger and have wider abdomens.  We believe the hatched ootheca is also that of a Carolina Mantis.  In the past few years, populations of their western relatives have been increasing in our own wild garden.

Hatched Mantis Ootheca

Hatched Mantis Ootheca

Location: Coryell County, Texas