Subject: Sabino canyon , Tucson AZ glow worm
Location: tucson. AZ, USA
i ran across this bug during a night walk in Sabino Canyon, Tucson, AZ. It has a green glow in the tail.
It was in a riparian area but I found it on land crawling between two bodies of water.
I thought it might be s hellgrammite , but have not found a picture that is similar
Signature: thanks, Lance

Firefly Larva

Firefly Larva

Dear Lance,
This is not a Glowworm.  It is a Firefly Larva and they are in distictly different families.  We believe your individual is in the genus
Microphotus which is limited to western states.  Your individual looks very similar to this BugGuide image of Microphotus angustus, but that species is only reported in California.  Four other members of the genus are reported in Arizona, according to BugGuide, but no images of the larva are available.  Then again, it might be a member of a different genus.

Location: Tucson, Arizona

4 Responses to Firefly Larva from Arizona

1. Jeff Drumgool says:

I just found a very small, about 3/8 in long tan color larve on a rock and one end was glowing like a small,white,led.I noticed it tonight. What could it be? I have lived here in ash fork, Arizona for 20 years and never seen anything like this before.