Subject: About an unidentified bug
Location: Nittambuwa, Western province, sri lanka
September 24, 2015 4:04 am
I found this bug today when it was in his silky web of a curled pomelo leaf. It is copper-gold in color.. can jump long distances. It jumped on to my camera after seeing the flash. I am interested in this bug. Please give me some information about him.
Signature: Tharindu Dilshan

Jumping Spiders

Jumping Spiders

Dear Tharindu,
This is going to take a bit more time to research than we are able to provide this morning.  We can tell you this is a Jumping Spider in the family Salticidae, and Jumping Spiders are hunting spiders that do not build webs to trap prey, though they are known to spin shelters like the one you discovered.  The really curious point for us is if you look closely at the image with the shelter, you will see a second set of eyes beneath the spider.  We believe your jumping individual is a male, and he may have been visiting a female in the shelter.

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider

Yeah. I saw another spider. But i thought , it is its kid. So i didnt care much about it. It is lighter in color.
Thank you Mr Daniel Marlos.

Location: Nittambuwa, Sri Lanka

2 Responses to Jumping Spiders from Sri Lanka

1. Ashutosh says:

Its Hyllus semicupreus couple