Subject: Insect that looks like a machine
Location: ajax, ontario
Love your site. Thanks so much for all the bugs you have identified for me so far. I think this bug might be hard to identify I got only one shot of it and looking at it I have no idea what it is. It was very tiny, size of long grain rice.
It was digging in the sand in front of Sobeys warehouse in Ajax Ontario. I was taking pictures of sand bees. The sandy area is very close to a pond. I am sorry I only have one shot It took me a while to find it on camera and it dug underground after the first shot.
Signature: terri martin

Mystery Insect

Pygmy Mole Cricket

Hi Terri,
This is a mystery.  It looks vaguely Orthopteran, and the antennae reminds us of a beetle.  We have written to Eric Eaton for assistance.

Eric Eaton Responds
… The insect is indeed an orthopteran, a “pygmy mole cricket,” family Tridactylidae.  This one is probably Neotridactylus apicalis, the “Larger Pygmy Mole Cricket.”  They are not true crickets of course, and are actually more closely allied to grasshoppers.  They are common in sandy riverbanks, but because they are subterranean for the most part they are seldom seen.  Would love to use this image in my talk on grasshoppers, if the photographer would grant permission for “educational use.”  Thanks.

Hi Daniel
I do have a few more shots  of the cricket. I am willing to send and Eric can use the image.  I am working nights at work right now so give me a few days and I will send you what I have.
I am doing a potential showing of my pictures at a gallery next year.
Thanks so much
Terri

Location: Ajax, Ontario, Canada