Subject: what are these spiders
Location: widnes Cheshire uk
hello
I’m wondering what types of spiders these are I live in the UK, Cheshire, widnes
I would be very grateful for your input
Signature: jade

Cellar Spider from the UK

Cellar Spider from the UK

Dear Jade,
One of your images is a Cellar Spider,
Pholcus phalangioides, with a clutch of eggs.  You can read more about Cellar Spiders on British Spiders where it states:  “The species is widespread in England and Wales, and although it is absent from much of northern Britain, there are records as far north as Shetland” and “It particularly favours undisturbed parts of houses such as cellars and bathrooms where it can establish large colonies beneath baths and shower-trays. As it makes an untidy web in the corners of ceilings it is not usually permitted a permanent abode in such conspicuous situations but it has no difficulty in surviving where there is a limited tolerance by house owners. It is one of the few species of spider that has acquired a vernacular name, being known as the daddy long legs spider because of its long legs.”  It is a harmless species.  Your other image is too blurry for identification.

Location: Widnes, Cheshire, UK

One Response to Cellar Spider with Clutch of Eggs from UK

1. jade says:

thank you very much!
    very interesting, I’m also impressed by your knowledge