Subject: carpenter bee
Location: Saudia Arabia- Madina
Hi bugman!
I’ve found this female bee buzzing around my fluorescent tube light in early morning.
two of them were buzzing above a nearby dates palm tree, maybe they were examining the tree to make a nest or something.
sorry for the bad quality photos, I got the bee inside a plastic bag just to take a photo then released the little guy-gal- back outside.
can I get a more specified classification?
thank you for your works.
5/September/2015 6.40 A.M.
Signature: M.A

Carpenter Bee

Carpenter Bee

Dear M.A,
We agree that this looks like a Carpenter Bee, and based on images posted to Science Open, we believe it is a male
Xylocopa (Koptortosoma) aestuans (Linnaeus).  Science Open states:  “Male covered by dense yellow pubescence” and your second image indicates a yellow abdomen.  The Wiki Spaces site has an image supports that identification.

Carpenter Bee

Carpenter Bee

Location: Madina, Saudi Arabia

2 Responses to Carpenter Bee from Saudi Arabia

1. M.A says:

Thank you for the identification guys, I thought male have larger eyes like flies.

I was curious if they can make honey?
    although based on the small number of bees in borrows and the small area they dig, I don’t think so.

According to BugGuide: “Burrow into wood, forming a series of chambers, typically 6-8. Each is provisioned with pollen (mixed with regurgitated nectar), a single egg is laid, and then capped with a disk of wood pulp. Chamber is sealed and adult does not return.” While they do not produce honey on the scale of domestic bees, nectar is gathered from blossoms and regurgitated into the nest as food for the larval bees.