Subject: Caterpillars!
Location: Benson, North Carolina
September 5, 2015 8:25 am
I think I have an idea of what this caterpillar is but what I have a question about is what kind of plant its on and what the possibility is of other plants like it being around here. Your response will be very well appreciated.
Sincerely
Signature: Cory

Tersa Hornworm

Tersa Hornworm

Dear Cory,
You stated that you “have an idea of what this caterpillar is” though you did not provide that identification.  Your images show both green and brown color variations of the Tersa Sphinx Hornworms, and according to BugGuide, they feed upon:  “Madder Family, Rubiaceae, including Smooth buttonplant (
Spermacoce glabra), starclusters (Pentas species), Borreria, Manettia; and Bignoniaceae: Catalpa. Also noted, in North Carolina, from Virginia Buttonweed, Diodia virginiana, also in the Rubiaceae.”  Though we are not “What’s That Plant?” we believe they are feeding on Virginia Buttonweed based on the images posted to Backyard Nature.

Tersa Hornworms

Tersa Hornworms

Location: Benson, North Carolina