Subject: Giant wasp…borrows in tree giving birth? WTB?
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
September 4, 2015 4:22 am
I live in West Chester, Pa, and took these photos on September 3rd, 2015. They were taken in my backyard, on a dead tree…that I am in process of removing. I noticed this very large wasp looking insect, it was 2inches I length….I know because I measured it. It was near the base of the tree and looked like it was searching for something. I watched as it found a location and a long black “leg” like thing injected itself into the tree bark . I know it was not a leg because all of the insects legs were yellow and this was black, thinner and was being pushed into the tree. The insect started moving its body back and forth and the black “leg” got shorter and shorter until it was almost not even seen. It stayed there for at least a half an hour and when I came back out side it had moved itself to another part of the tree and was doing the whole process over again. Now, I am assuming it was putting its eggs into the tree bark. I love insects and ha ve never seen a bug this long, or a stinger this long, could you tell me what bug this is? Thanks for your time and your help!
Signature: J Hartz

Pigeon Horntail Ovipositing

Pigeon Horntail Ovipositing

Dear J Hartz,
Thanks so much for submitting your excellent images and detailed account of this Pigeon Horntail,
Tremex columba, in the act of ovipositing.  Your speculation is quite accurate.  Pigeon Horntails are Wood Wasps whose larvae tunnel in and feed on dead wood of deciduous trees.

PIgeon Horntail Ovipositing

PIgeon Horntail Ovipositing

Thanks so much for the information! I love looking at all types of insects and studying their life cycle.   You have a great websites and it is very helpful, keep up the great work!
Sincerely-
J Hartz

PIgeon Horntail Ovipositing

PIgeon Horntail Ovipositing

Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania