Ed. Note:  Though it is nowhere near as virulent as other nasty emails we have received, we have decided this posting needs to be tagged with our Nasty Reader Award nonetheless.  Perhaps we are being overly sensitive, but the followup communication from M R just rubbed us the wrong way by implying that our personal (and originally unposted) response was not sufficient.  First, the original email we received did not even include a question, and by all appearances, including the use of abbreviations, this was a hasty submission.  We are a free internet service and we do not have the time to do extensive research on every request we receive.  The image is out of focus, and it is not attractive.  We choose requests with catchy subject lines, attractive images, interesting anecdotes or rare sightings for posting purposes because we find them more interesting, and we believe our readership will also find them more interesting.  We responded to MR the same day the submission was made, and it took MR more than a day to put a species name to the Cicada.  Exact species identifications are frequently time consuming, as MR learned, and we had no clue from the information we received that a species name was even desired.  Granted, our identification was general, but it was correct.  Getting what seems to be a snotty reply that “I figured that a bug id ‘What’s That Bug’ would have at least figured out that it was a Cicada” seemed totally unnecessary and crafted to demean our site.  So, after a hiatus of more than three years, we are finally awarding our Ninth Nasty Reader Award.  We are also linking to BugGuide for information on Neotibicen dorsatus, the Bush Cicada.  

Subject: Bug
Location: TX
Don’t know what this bug is called
Signature: M R

Cicada

Bush Cicada

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015, whatsthatbug.com@gmail.com wrote:
cicada

August 20, 10:02 PM
It’s a Cicada ( Tibicen Dorsatus) Took some time but I was able to locate it.
I figured that a bug id “What’s That Bug” would have at least figured out that it was a Cicada.

Location: Texas

13 Responses to Ninth Recipient of the Nasty Reader Award: Bush Cicada

1. You can’t please every one, there are always brats in the world! 😉 Thanks for what you do!

2. I appreciate everything you do. You guys take time out of your lives to do a great service to curious minds. The writer got exactly what they originally asked for; no fault of yours. Keep it up!

3. To me your site is about beauty, wonder, and the joy of discovery. I guess not everyone gets it.

4. Jerry Pittman says:

Thanx for all you do. I love when someone at work asks, do you know what kind of bug this is? And I smile and say yes WTB posted it , it’s a … The photos and ID’s help a lot. So thanx again J

5. Your wonderful site allowed me to identify a House Centipede. Sadly, I did kill a few (They are scary looking) before I came across your wonderful site, but now they live here in complete and utter freedom.

Thank YOU for running such a fantastic site! 😀 Keep up the great work, WhatsThatBug.com!

6. Your site helped me with my fear of spiders by educating me. You perform a great service and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

7. Don’t worry about it lol. .can’t please everyone in life lol

8. Some people have chips on their shoulders that can never be filled no matter what you do. From the bug nerds and creature-curious folks out there, we love you guys.

9. I love uour site and have been using it ever since I moved to Florida and have needed to identify interesting creatures. I think you provide a great service and i iften visit just to read up on different bugs for the fun of it. Keep up the great work 🙂

10. And teached me a lot, you know. You call Insetologia sister, it will always be the lil daughter to me.