Subject: Milkweed Tussock Moth Caterpillar
Location: southwestern Ontario, Canada
I was very excited to see that the milkweed I planted in my mother’s garden was well-munched, but somewhat surprised to discover who was munching it! Not monarchs, as I hoped for, but a milkweed tussock moth caterpillar. There were four or five of these little guys. When disturbed, they curl up into a ball and drop to the ground. I haven’t seen them in this area before and so this spotting was particularly interesting to me. I know you have lots of tussock moth caterpillar photos already, but thought I would send this along in case you found it useful.
Thanks for such a great site and all your hard work!
Signature: Alison

Milkweed Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Milkweed Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Dear Alison,
Your Milkweed Tussock Caterpillar image is of very high quality and a wonderful addition to our archives.

Location: Ontario, Canada

3 Responses to Milkweed Tussock Moth Caterpillar

1. Bamboo says:

Just saw the same here today. Had noticed the tops of milkweed plants looked dark and shriveled – got closer and saw there was nothing but the center veins of the leaves of the plants left, and dozens of these caterpillars bunched at the top. Eastern Long Island.

2. Kim says:

This is the first time I have ever seen a Milkweed Tussock Caterpiller. I live north of Huntsville, Ontario Canada. Are they destructive and if so what should I do to control them. Thanks

Milkweed Tussock Caterpillars feed on milkweed leaves, and we are uncertain exactly what you mean by destructive. We do not provide extermination advice.